Re: Exotic Species in Orange County

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2009
      Hi,

      Someone associated with the Parrot Project (is that what it's called?) in OC can answer D. As for B and C, there are no reliable locations, although a whydah or two have lingered for short whiles at Huntington Central Park in years past. As for Orange Bishops, I've found them to be reliable between Adams Avenue and LeBard Park in the Santa Ana riverbed when it gets dense with tall grasses and weeds this time of year. I haven't been down there in many months, so don't know how choice it currently looks there.

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach

    • lilithm3@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 20, 2009
        A. For Orange Bishop, one fairly reliable site is the Santa Ana River along Yorba Regional Park.

        B. I've seen a Pin-tailed Whydah at Carbon Canyon Regional Park (and thought it was a Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher until I id'd it in Sibley).

        D. If you're willing to be there at 6 AM, there is a residential neighborhood in Santa Ana that is home to a flock of six or seven different species of parrots. I will find Loretta Erickson's e-mail address and send it to you; she's the expert on parrots in SoCal.

        Sue Jorgenson
        Fullerton/Anaheim, CA

        Anyone happen to know relatively reliable sites in the county for:

        A. Orange Bishop
        B. Pin-tailed Whydah
        C. Red-whiskered Bulbul
        D. Any parrot other than Red-crowned and Lilac-crowned (which are
        easily found at Irvine Regional Park and Santiago Oaks)

        If not, from eBird reports it looks like the L.A. River is the nearest
        probable site for Orange Bishop. Is that accurate?

        --
        Elliotte Rusty Harold
        elharo@...

        ------------------------------------

        Reports and bird identities are neither edited nor verified. Use at your own risk. Please consult the standard reference books for proper bird identification & currently accepted names. Please do not use abbreviations or acronyms in lieu of names. Both scientific and/or common names of birds are acceptable.

        All posts must be on-topic: about birds/birding in Orange County, California (nowhere else!). Your posts must include both a clear subject line *and* your name. Off-topic posts will be deleted and the sender put on moderated status. Repeat offenders will be banned.

        To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the archives at:
        To see photos of birds being discussed (if available) see:

        What Is Liver Cancer
        Helpful Links for What Is Liver Cancer
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=iTKxSr71WVjai2YN2ELlwQAAJ1C9u5sxD-y_RA7L14ElHSkWAAUAAAAAAAAAAFZ9rj2w44G_JiGdxNRtsorhSk6dAAAAAA==
      • William Butler
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 20, 2009
          Orange bishops can also be found on the Santa Ana River between Adams
          and Gisler.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Aug 20, 2009, at 8:24 PM, "lilithm3@..." <lilithm3@...>

        • mary9david
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2009
            Elliotte,

            Another spot for Orange Bishop is in Orange on Chapman just off the 55 in the ditch that runs behind the dog park. I have seen them there fairly reliably, but it's been a while.

            I don't know about bulbuls in O.C., but I have seen them reliably at the Los Angeles Arboretum in Arcadia.

            Cheers,

            David Elliott
            Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
            Canada

            --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@...> wrote:

            > Anyone happen to know relatively reliable sites in the county for:
            >
            > A. Orange Bishop
            > B. Pin-tailed Whydah
            > C. Red-whiskered Bulbul
            > D. Any parrot other than Red-crowned and Lilac-crowned (which are
            > easily found at Irvine Regional Park and Santiago Oaks)
            >
            > If not, from eBird reports it looks like the L.A. River is the nearest
            > probable site for Orange Bishop. Is that accurate?
            >
            > --
            > Elliotte Rusty Harold
            > elharo@...

          • Elliotte Rusty Harold
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 21, 2009
              This morning, 8-21, I had success with Orange Bishops in the Santa
              River north of Adams on the Huntington Beach side. Wasn't especially
              hard to find either. I heard it before I saw it. Even got a few (bad)
              photos of a beautiful male. Thanks all!

              --
              Elliotte Rusty Harold
              elharo@...