Solitary Sandpipers, Orange - 8/11/09

  • Neil Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2009
      birders,

      This morning around 7:45 I had two (!) SOLITARY SANDPIPERS at Peters Canyon Regional Park in Orange. Both birds were on the east side of the lake, about a half-mile from the parking lot. One was present in the same area around 6:00 p.m.

      Shorebird habitat was excellent. Other shorebirds today included (21) Killdeer, (26) Black-necked Stilt, (4) American Avocet, (1) Spotted Sandpiper, (3) Greater Yellowlegs, (1) WILLET, (2) Lesser Yellowlegs, (57) Western Sandpiper, (8) Least Sandpiper, and (7) Long-billed Dowitcher.

      Passerine migrants were few, but I had a single WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE and a Townsend's/Hermit type warbler chipping in the stand of pines on the west side of the lake.

      cheers,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA
      http://ocbirding.blogspot.com/