Special Shorebird Trip to Piute Ponds - Aug. 9th

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2009
      Sea & Sage Audubon has scheduled a special summer shorebird trip to the
      Piute Ponds at Edwards Air Force base in the Antelope Valley. The trip
      is set for Sunday, August 9th at 7:00 a.m. and will be led by Jon
      Feenstra. The focus of the trip will be mainly shorebirds, though of
      course, we will look at all species.

      Thousands of sandpipers and plovers stage at these isolated wetlands
      during their southerly migration and we will be there to meet them.
      Baird’s Sandpiper is nearly guaranteed to be present and Semipalmated
      Sandpiper is possible. In addition to a variety of shorebirds, some
      still in breeding plumage, (if this weren’t enough), the surrounding
      desert can produce Prairie Falcon, LeConte’s Thrasher, and lots of
      Horned Larks and Sage Sparrows. The Piute Ponds are located on Edwards
      Air Force Base which has restricted entry.

      Our leader, Jon Feenstra, has a permit to take our group into the area.
      He will be leading a similar trip for Pasadena Audubon the previous day,
      so he’ll have a good idea of exactly where to find the most interesting
      species. Directions to the meeting place will be provided to those with
      reservations.

      We have run similar trips to the Piute Ponds in early August of 2007 and
      2008. Links to the bird lists compiled from those trips can be found on
      our Sea & Sage website at:
      <http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/FieldTrips/fieldtripscurrent.htm>

      The field trip is limited to 12 people. Advance reservations are needed.
      Please contact Nancy Kenyon, Field Trip Chair, for reservations, at
      <nancykenyon@...>

      Nancy Kenyon
      Irvine