Black Tern at the SJWS

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2009
      A Black Tern in breeding plumage was spotted by Jan Gaffney & Sally
      Menzel at Pond 2 in the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary this morning
      (7/03/09) during the monthly census. The bird was also observed by Merri
      Levy, Darrell Wilson & Jerry Tolman. Some of the group saw the bird
      when it was flying around; others saw it when it was stationary at Pond 2.

      We noticed that the shorebirds are beginning to return. When Jerry
      Tolman and I went back to pond C to recheck the identity of a duck I had
      a question about, we saw 1 Western Sandpiper in breeding plumage in Pond
      E, 7 Long-billed Dowitchers in varying degrees of breeding plumage and 2
      Greater Yellowlegs in breeding plumage at the far end of Pond C.

      Nancy Kenyon
      Irvine