Crescent Bay - 7/1/09

  • Neil Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 12:30 PM
      Hi birders,

      This morning I did a seawatch from Crescent Bay Point Park in Laguna Beach from 6:55-8:00 a.m. It was a very active morning, with lots of seabirds. I was briefly joined by Kaaren Perry.

      Sooty Shearwater (300+) - A constant stream of birds flying north the entire time I was there, though tapering off by the time I left. Most were well offshore, but a few were within half a mile or less.

      Pink-footed Shearwater (~15) - Fairly common, including a couple birds quite close to shore.

      Black Storm-Petrel (40+) - Quite common a mile or two out, but after 7:15 most of them had disappeared.

      Kaaren and I also had a probable Xantus's Murrelet fly by, but both of us lost it after brief looks. The only shorebirds were singles of Black Oystercatcher and Whimbrel (flyby.)

      I also also surprised to notice two Brandt's Cormorant nests with nestlings and a few young juveniles (presumably still flightless) on one of the sea stacks close to shore. This species is not listed as a breeder in either The Birds of Orange County: Status and Distribution or Atlas of Breeding Birds: Orange County, California, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

      cheers,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA
      http://ocbirding.blogspot.com/