Reddish Egret in Santa Ana River

  • zapolingo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2009
      Hello all,

      This morning, I saw an immature Reddish Egret feeding on the mudflats in the Santa Ana River mouth. The bird was in the river just south of the Hamilton/Victoria Street overpass. A photo of it is posted at the link below.

      Do any of you know if Reddish Egrets are now breeding here? They seem to be making increasingly regular appearances.

      Happy birding,

      Felicia Lee
      Costa Mesa, CA and Gainesville, FL
      http://yellowrump.blogspot.com
    • Lidia Seebeck
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2009
        Felicia, and all on the listserv

        It was way too hot in Riverside today and this email was just too tempting
        so we went downriver.

        We did see a bird that was a bluish heron/egret. We took probably 30 pics
        of that particular bird, trying to catch it in different angles, light,
        etc. I also looked at Felicia's picture. Felicia, if you have others please
        feel free to send the good ones to my account (OFFlist, please).

        I am not sure, and this makes me really tentative to say much, but Felicia
        may well have seen a REEG but by today what I think I saw was actually a
        Little Blue Heron (BTW I DID see the Reddish Egret at Bolsa in the past so
        I do have a point of comparison, though I did not see the Bolsa bird when
        it was immature). I will be happy to send pics directly to birders or to
        post to group files if that is desired.

        --

        We then went up the PCH and our son was just not done birding so we stopped
        at Bolsa Chica.

        Of note there, there is a Least Tern nest just barely beyond the fencing at
        the end of the boardwalk and staircase. We observed a parent repeatedly
        feeding two relatively immobile young. We do have pics of parents and of
        young (Mike decided it was best to not disturb the young at the moment of
        feeding by any camera noise, so we don't have that per se but he made
        multiple observations)

        I can't say there was much else of particular interest.

        Lidia

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2009
          Hi Lidia,

          I'm glad you made it out there; it's a great (and under-appreciated) spot for birds. Actually, someone else e-mailed me offline and also thought the bird I saw may have been a Little Blue Heron.

          The photo I posted wasn't very good (the bird was far away), but there were a few things that made me think it was indeed a Reddish Egret, rather than a LBH. First, it was hunting in a prototypical Reddish Egret way--running around and flapping its wings. Second, I'd seen Reddish Egrets in that spot before (mature ones), and since they're more likely to occur around here than LBHs, I figured that would be the safest choice. Also, I see Little Blues pretty regularly in Florida, and the bird I saw on Saturday wasn't nearly as blue as these.

          It's certainly possible that you saw a different bird than me (could you post your photos?), and it would be cool if it were a Little Blue Heron—this would give me another excuse to go back down there!

          And on a completely unrelated note, there was a very active Least Bittern at Laguna Niguel Regional Park yesterday; it was flying around and landing in various reedy spots on the edge of the lake near the dam. At one point, we (my husband, John and Joan Avise, and me) saw it fly off to the left, then only a minute later saw a Least Bittern flying in from our right; so potentially there may have been more than one bird.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
            _____

            The photo I posted wasn't very good (the bird was far away), but there were
            a few things that made me think it was indeed a Reddish Egret, rather than
            a LBH. First, it was hunting in a prototypical Reddish Egret way--running
            around and flapping its wings.

            [LAS]

            Well, I'm now doubting Little Blue Heron for my record, (not doubting
            yours)

            My bird seemed to be walking around in a more stately way. I've got some
            pics of the nearby Snowy Egrets flapping while hunting but my bird in
            question doesn't seem to be doing much of that. So in that regard my record
            acted like a LBHE.

            However, looking at the legs, they are dark, not dull green although to be
            perfectly honest most of my pics have the legs so much under the body of
            the bird that it's a little hard to tell. Also the bird looks taller than
            the SNEGs.

            Second, I'd seen Reddish Egrets in that spot before (mature ones), and
            since they're more likely to occur around here than LBHs, I figured that
            would be the safest choice.

            [LAS] There is some consideration there

            Also, I see Little Blues pretty regularly in Florida, and the bird I saw
            on Saturday wasn't nearly as blue as these.

            [LAS] Mine was odd. In some pictures it seems quite dark indeed but in one
            picture with the sun full on its back it turned kinda light blue. Not sure
            though.

            It's certainly possible that you saw a different bird than me (could you
            post your photos?),

            [LAS] I'll post if I can get the system to work.

            Lidia

          • Lidia Seebeck
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
              _____

              (could you post your photos

              [LAS]

              Photos are now posted. I really welcome opinions on whether this is a REEG
              or LBHE.

              Lidia Seebeck

              Riverside CA