White-eyed Vireo

  • Brian Daniels
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31 2:50 PM
      A singing male White-eyed Vireo put on a good show at Huntington Central Park today from 0930 to at least 1145. It was along the fence line just east of the main entrance to Shipley Nature Center on the west side of the park (that is west of Golden West Street). This is the 3rd record for the park and 6th record for Orange County. The last record for the county was at the park on May 31 to June 1, 1993. So maybe this bird will also remain for another day. Certainly the persistent coastal low clouds would give one hope for another day or two...

      It sang off and on, and when it did, you can't miss it! It mostly foraged in the alders that are outside Shipley and parallel the fence line east to almost Golden West Street. It also dropped into the shrubs (coffee berry and, I believe, Myrica sp.) inside the Shipley fence between the redwood trees and the alders.

      On the east side of the park was a singing Northern Parula and two singing Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. The NOPA was first found at the "island" but moved north and then west and was last reported near the Jack Green Nature Area (eucs and willows). The RBGR are also wandering widely on this side of the park. ALso keep a look out for female RBGR as at least one, if not two were seen today on the east side of the park.

      Brian Daniels
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31 8:44 PM
        The Whte-eyed Vireo was still there at 4 PM. We could not refind the
        Northern Parula but did see a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak at the wet spot.

        At 02:50 PM 2009-05-31, Brian Daniels wrote:
        >A singing male White-eyed Vireo put on a good show at Huntington
        >Central Park today from 0930 to at least 1145.

        Good birding,

        Steve Sosensky,
        SoCA Bird Guides <steve at sosensky.com> www.sosensky.com/guides
        Nature Photos www.sosensky.com/nature_photos.htm
        Optics4Birding <steve at optics4birding.com> www.optics4birding.com
        Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 949-269-2161 33.56485 N, 117.72205 W