Re: Wacky Bell's Vireo Behavior and OC Register article

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2009
      Hi Bob,

      This is a tough situation. On the one hand, this appears to be a good group doing tough work, and wanting to do it the right way. On the other hand, despite being a noxious weed, tall, dense stands of mustard provide breeding and forage habitat for birds. We've found 45 Least Bell's Vireo nests in mustard in the past twenty years, along with 202 in eucalypus trees and 34 in arundo. I recently observed a California Gnatcatcher provisioning its fledglings with food that was garnered from flowering mustard. No matter how well-intentioned, a policy of removing expansive stands of mustard during the avian breeding season will ultimately result in the loss of a certain number of bird nests. Further, in those situations where a nest is found only after much of a patch has already been removed, leaving a nest with only a greatly diminished patch for cover and forage will likely result in the loss of that nest, as well. Some may conclude that the loss of an occasional Song Sparrow, Common Yellowthroat or Spotted Towhee nest is worth the greater good accomplished by the plant removal action (despite the illegality involved). However, I definitely would never be removing mustard, hemlock, eucalyptus, tamarisk or a host of other pernicious non-native plants anywhere near the territory of a threatened or endangered species during the breeding season. Two willow trees, a mulefat shrub, and a large patch of flowering hemlock and mustard can make for a successful Bell's Vireo breeding territory in the Prado Basin. Removing everything but the willows and mulefat can destroy it. You can just as easily ruin a bird's chances of successfully breeding by altering its habitat at the wrong time of year as you can by stepping on its eggs.

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach