Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Status and distribution questions

  • Lori Conrad
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2009
      Hi

      It sounds like a White-lined Sphinx Moth........some people call them "hummingbird moths". What you see as the bill is their extended tongue!

      Lori Conrad
      Hermosa Beach Ca

      From: Kaaren Perry <surfbird1@...>
      To: OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009, 12:01 PM

      I have recently seen many questions on this list regarding things like,"...what subspecies are we more likely to see in this park", "...what seabirds are currently being seen?" etc..

      The answer to these questions and also the answers to many other bird related questions can be found by checking : The Birds of Orange County California, Status and Distribution, Hamilton and Willick.

      This is an extremely valuable reference for all matters that deal with the status and distribution of birds common and not so common found in Orange County. Subspecies are discussed as well. It is available for purchase at the Sea and Sage Audubon House in Irvine as well as at Amazon.com. and many other bookstores. It is a treasure and a must to add to your bird book collection if you don't already own it. I have two! One in my car and one in my home.

      Hope this is helpful,

      Kaaren Perry
      Laguna Beach
      Sea and Sage Education Chairperson