Vermillion Flycatcher

  • socalbirder
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2009
      My wife Kirsten and I had a male Vermillion Flycatcher on the trail east of Pond 4 at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary this afternoon at around 2:30PM. It was very approachable. We also saw a male and female Hooded Merganser in the Forbes Rd creek channel off Crown Valley Parkway. We saw a male and 4 female Hoodeds in the creek that Oso Pkwy passes over at Country Club Dr, right before the Sunrise Assisted Living bld on the right as you head inland. Best view is from the bridge looking down stream. They were about 50 feet down the creek flowing through the trees. Also saw an American Bittern and Belted Kingfisher along this stretch.

      Jeff Keen
      Bird On!
    • carolynnoble90
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
        Both today, Feb. 5 and yesterday, I saw a male Vermillion Flycatcher flying from bare tree to bare tree near picnic shelter #2 at Mason Regional Park.

        I wonder how many are in O.C. this winter?

        Carolyn Noble
        Santa Ana
      • Doug
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2012
          Hi Carolyn,

          Presumably your Mason Regional Park (MRP) bird was an adult male (first year males would typically not be completely red throughout the underparts quite yet). If so I would not at all be surprised that your bird is the male that's been wintering at, and wandering about, the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary (SJSWS) and also crossing Campus Drive over to the UCI's "San Joaquin Freshwater Marsh Reserve". In years' past we've also had a Vermilion Flycatcher or two that appeared to be "commuting" back and forth between MRP and SJWS during the winter (this situation also strongly suspected one winter with an Eastern Phoebe as well). The two areas are fairly close together (for this type of bird), with plenty of good foraging areas in between (San Diego Creek and the Rancho San Joaquin Golf Course). Like several other flycatcher species that winter in So Cal, Vermilions can cover quite a bit of territory during winter. We do have others wintering in OC this year (can recall at least two that have been at Mile Square Regional Park, and one at El Modena Park, and maybe forgetting one somewhere), but with all the birder coverage we typically get in the SJWS and MRP area, I suspect there's just one adult male wandering about the area (unless of course we can document two males present at both locations at the same time).

          Doug Willick
          Orange, CA

          --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, "carolynnoble90" <nobility@...> wrote:

          > Both today, Feb. 5 and yesterday, I saw a male Vermillion Flycatcher flying from bare tree to bare tree near picnic shelter #2 at Mason Regional Park.
          >
          > I wonder how many are in O.C. this winter?
          >
          > Carolyn Noble
          > Santa Ana

        • Don Hoechlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2014
            Had a male Vermillion Flycatcher at second hole of Players Course at Mile Square Park on Fri - sorry for the late post. Don Hoechlin. Costa Mesa
            Sent from my iPhone
          • Don Hoechlin
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2014
              I had a male Vermilion Flycatcher on the island in pond one at San Joaquin wildlife sanctuary at 11:30.
              Also present were large flocks of Cedar waxwings. A small group of whimbrels were on Pond E. Don Hoechlin. Costa Mesa
              Sent from my iPhone