Local stuff - 2/28

  • Neil Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2009
      birders,

      This morning I had a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW in a heavily-vegetated
      yard adjacent to Irvine Terrace Park in Newport Beach. The park is
      immediately adjacent to Pacific Coast Highway, across from the
      entrance to Fashion Island. I pished the bird out of the yard with the
      big pine trees. Also here was a "SLATE-COLORED" JUNCO.

      Upper Newport Bay was relatively quiet today. The only decent bird I
      could find was a single male GREATER SCAUP at the northern end of the
      bay, near Jamboree Rd.

      I had a PEREGRINE FALCON (probably a female) at San Joaquin Wildlife
      Sanctuary in Irvine this afternoon, on one of the islands in Pond Two.
      This morning there was an adult-cycle MEW GULL in the same pond. I
      also found the continuing WILSON'S WARBLER near the Audubon House
      parking lot.

      good birding,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA