Cactus Wren

  • frittsie2007
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2009
      It was a welcome sound to hear a Cactus Wren in full song on the north
      side of the path along the Upper Back Bay yesterday morning. It has
      been a few years since we YMCA walkers have seen or heard this bird in
      this area. Barbara Dixon
    • hamiltonrobb
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
        Hi All,

        As many of you know, some Cactus Wrens were translocated into Upper
        Newport Bay in 2006 as an experiment -- their territories in NorthIrvine
        were removed for houses and the birds would have had nowhere to go
        unless they were moved. The birds that were moved were color-banded, and
        in 2007 one pair at the Bay produced a fledgling, which received a metal
        band. Nobody seems to know whether Cactus Wrens successfully bred at the
        Bay in 2008, but I saw the color-banded pair in November 2008 in scrub
        south of the Muth Interpretive Center (on the northwest side of the Bay,
        near the terminus of Monte Vista Avenue).

        There is a massive effort underway to document and monitor Cactus Wren
        populations all along the coastal slope of southern California. If you
        see Cactus Wrens in Upper Newport Bay, please try to determine whether
        they're banded, and get the color-band combinations, if possible. Please
        report any sightings here and/or to me directly (robb [at]
        rahamilton.com). Finally, please note the birds' location as accurately
        as you can. For example, it's not totally clear what's meant by "the
        north side of the path"-- is this referring to the wooden boardwalk on
        the north side of the bay?

        Thanks!

        Robb Hamilton

        Long Beach

        --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, "frittsie2007"
        <barbara2121lee@...> wrote:

        > It was a welcome sound to hear a Cactus Wren in full song on the north
        > side of the path along the Upper Back Bay yesterday morning. It has
        > been a few years since we YMCA walkers have seen or heard this bird in
        > this area. Barbara Dixon

      • Charles Nichols
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2009
          Chuck Nichols of Huntington Beach reports:

          We observed a Cactus Wren on the west side of UNB last Monday. It was in a bare tree above a large Opuntia cactus grove about half way between the Muth Center and Constellation. No tag was seen, but not ruled out.
        • frittsie2007
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 18, 2010
            Yesterday 2/17 I saw two cactus wren in the area above the wood bridge on the back bay bike trail (north end). One was singing and flitting from bush to bush the other was in close contact with the singing bird on two occasions but no signs of nest building that I could see. Keep your fingers crossed!

            Barbara Dixon
          • robert_houtz
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014

              Cactus Wren seen in prickly pear alongside the Lake View Loop Trail at Peters Canyon Regional Park on June 12.

                     Bob Houtz, Fullerton