Two Glaucous Gulls at Doheny

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20 11:13 PM
      Hi,

      There were two first-cycle Glaucous Gulls simultaneously in the creek
      mouth at Doheny this afternoon. One has bleached to almost completely
      white while the other still retains some spots on the wing coverts and
      is most boldly marked on the uppertail coverts and rump. There was also
      a dark first-cycle bird with a dark bill that I initially thought was a
      Lesser Black-backed Gull. Although my photos indicate the bird had a
      relatively narrow tail band and other field marks consistent with that
      species, some features are confusing and I'm going to solicit other
      opinions. Unfortunately, the bird flew off with a mob of California
      Gulls before I was able to see the upperwing pattern.

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach