Is this Nutty?

  • JWeintraub@fullerton.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2001
      Group....

      Here are some cut and pastes from emails.... also I put a photo on
      this website in Files...temp. photos to help you understand this
      request. Arie Gilbert wonders if he saw the Nutting's Flycatcher on
      April 18th while on the east side of Mason. The last call-in
      received on Nutty was on March 26th.

      Looking at the new picture, and my pictures of the Nutting's
      Flycatcher... I think the new photo has a bird with too much white
      extending towards the back of the head. Also the Nutting's at Mason
      had a very pronounced auricular patch which seems to be missing from
      this bird. There is also too much white on the upper wing. Ash-
      throated Flycatchers are expected at this time, and my leaning is
      that it is an Ash-throated, not the Nutting's. Comments?? Arie is
      on this group but he is a New York Birder. He sent in the photo that
      I posted.

      Date sent: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:32:12 -0400
      From: Arie Gilbert
      I was at Mason as planned this past wednesday, and had a bird that
      looked like it could be a Nuttings. It was in a Willow tree, on the
      right side of the path, just past where there are 5 culvert pipes
      that run beneath the path. There was a path that was trampled down
      towards the tree, and the bird was feeding from the horizontal
      branches. it disappeared into the dense vegetation, but reappeared
      some 15 minutes later to the right of this spot, in mulefat and
      mustard. I eventually approached as closely as i could and stood
      still watching the bird as it sat resting in mustard. The mustard was
      on the slope of the hill leading up to one edge of the homes. I kept
      hoping that it would call or yawn. It never called, but it did yawn
      twice and I am convinced that we saw orange when the bird yawned.
      This was ca 6 pm

      and

      Here is one of the better shots of the bird I took on 4-18.

      It's not that good, but better than nothing.

      Lemme know what you think

      So... whatdoyouthink???

      Joel Weintraub