Gulls and Mason Regional Park

  • scre@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009
      Lauren Harter and I drove down today (Feb 1) to visit a friend of ours and take him out birding Winn Addison Ketchum from Vermont.? We checked out Mason Regional Park for about 20 mins and had the AMERICAN REDSTART along the creek parrelling University between the west most exit and the Main Entrance, also in this area we had a young male Bullock's Oriole that was starting to sing.? Seeming out of place was a Marbled Godwit on the lawn with a flock of coots.

      We went down to Doheny State Beach and Dana Pt Harbor where we spent most of the afternoon looking through and photographing the gulls.? Of note included the continuing GLAUCOUS GULL, a Nelson's Gull (Glaucous x Herring hybrid), 1-2 Thayer's Gull and 50+ Glaucous-winged Gulls and various hybrids (quite a few apprent Herring x Glaucous-winged).? Good Birding

      David Vander Pluym
      Ventura, Ca