Continuing Stuff - 1/31

  • Neil Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2009
      birders,

      The PALM WARBLER first found on the Coastal CBC was still at Orange
      Coast Community College in Costa Mesa this afternoon. It was in the
      small community vegetable garden adjacent to the construction areas.

      I also managed to relocate both the BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER and the
      AMERICAN REDSTART at Mason Regional Park in Irvine. The
      Black-and-white (female-type) was in the tall willows along the creek
      on the west side of the lake, somewhere in between the playground and
      the flooded creek crossing. The redstart (second-year male) was in the
      brush along the creek where in parallels University Drive, between the
      main entrance and the westernmost exit.

      At San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine I had a first cycle MEW
      GULL, a first cycle HERRING GULL, and an adult-cycle WESTERN GULL
      among the many California and Ring-billed Gulls in Pond Two.

      Lastly, the pair of HOODED MERGANSERS continued in the Peters Canyon
      Creek near Walnut.

      cheers,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA