Even more odds-n-ends, 11/29

  • Neil Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2008
      birders,

      I birded San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, Upper Newport Bay, and Little
      Corona City Beach on Saturday, November 29th. At San Joaquin, I found a
      RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER way back in the middle of the riparian area along
      the Lost Trail. I had at least five or six WILSON'S WARBLERS (probably
      wintering) throughout the marsh, which seems like a very high count for
      this time of year. Also probably wintering were two NORTHERN ROUGH-
      WINGED SWALLOWS. In the willows of the adjacent San Diego Creek I noted
      a wintering YELLOW WARBLER.

      At Upper Newport Bay, I had a male EURASIAN WIGEON about halfway
      between Big Canyon and East Bluff Dr. Other notables included the
      continuing LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE between Shellmaker Rd. and San Joaquin
      Hills Rd. and a few HORNED GREBES near the Jamboree Rd. bridge. The
      albino AMERICAN COOT was also still present near Jamboree Road.

      Little Corona City Beach had three BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS, about a dozen
      each of BLACK TURNSTONE and SURFBIRD, a WANDERING TATTLER, COMMON and
      PACIFIC LOONS, and a few BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS.

      I had a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE in the eucalyptus trees along the bike trail
      near Harvard Athletic Park in Irvine.

      Lastly, I had singles of YELLOW WARBLER and BULLOCK'S ORIOLE in my
      neighborhood in eastern Orange this morning, undoubtedly continuing
      wintering individuals.

      cheers,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA