Newport Back Bay Birds 11-15-08

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2008
      This morning at the end of the boardwalk, the Short-eared Owl made
      its appearance slightly before 9:00. It was out to the left of the
      dredge near the main channel. It got up and flew around a few times
      venturing past the right end of the sandy berm and quite a way left
      as well. Other raptors included a couple of Northern Harriers, a
      Peregrine Falcon

      There were several Clapper Rails, one Sora, and up to 6 American Bitterns.

      Earlier we tried for the Lesser Black-backed Gull at Doheney Beach
      without success. There were several 1st and 2nd cycle Glaucous-winged
      Gulls, a few GWxWestern hybrids, and one 1st cycle Thayer's.

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky,
      SoCA Bird Guides <steve at sosensky.com> www.sosensky.com/guides
      Nature Photos www.sosensky.com/nature_photos.htm
      Optics4Birding <steve at optics4birding.com> www.optics4birding.com
      Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 949-269-2161 33.56485 N, 117.72205 W
    • Robert McNab
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2008
        The drake Eurasion Widgeon made another appearance in the slough in
        front of the Muth Center around 11:00 w/many American Wigeon. Four
        drake Blue-winged Teal were also around. This is one of the better
        spots in OC for BWTE in my opinion.

        Speaking of Lesser Black-backed Gulls,I checked the gull flock at
        Doheny around 2:00-3:00P (low tide) on Friday (11-14-08) and also
        did not relocate the Lesser Black-backed Gull. There are several
        thousand birds at Doheny and Dana Point Harbor, however, so I would
        not be surprised if the bird is still around. Of note (for me at
        least) were two adult male Great tailed Grackles on Doheny Beach at
        the water's edge foraging near six Black Oystercatchers nearby on
        the exposed rocks. I tried to get a "unique" photo of the two
        species side-by-side but was not able to. So close but yet, so far...

        I do have photos of the GTGR at surf's edge if anyone would like to
        see one.

        Robert McNab
        Laguna Niguel

        --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, Steve Sosensky