Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Orange - 10/31/08

  • Neil Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2008
      birders,

      The YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER has returned for yet another winter at
      Santiago Oaks Regional Park in Orange. I saw it there this morning
      (10/31/08). I first saw it in the pepper tree where it spent a lot of
      time last winter. To find the tree, take the Santiago Creek Trail
      (cobbled stone trail at this point) across the creek and make a left
      immediately after crossing. Cross the short wooden boardwalk and
      climb the flight of wooden stairs. Take this trail a short distance
      to where it forks. The pepper tree is just a short distance down this
      trail. Later I heard and saw it in the willows in the creek bed right
      near the parking lot. The bird is very skittish and patience is
      required to find it.

      The park was very birdy this morning. I also had singles of RED-NAPED
      (my first of the fall) and RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS in the willows
      along the Historic Dam Trail. Also along here was an
      interesting "YELLOW-SHAFTED" x "RED-SHAFTED" NORTHERN FLICKER
      intergrade.

      good birding,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA