Albino Black Phoebe in Mission Viejo

  • Allen, Bob
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2000
      Greetings.

      While leading our Cub Scout Pack on a ride along the Los Alisos Bicycle
      Trail this morning (12-Nov-2000), I saw a bird flitting about in Black
      Phoebe-style, but realized that I was totally wrong because it was all-white
      in color. It landed on the fence near the trail and we watched each other as
      I continued on the trail. I had a good clear, close look at it and found it
      to be an albino individual of the Black Phoebe, complete with eyes that
      appeared to be pink (but I wasn't close enough to be 100% sure of the eye
      color).

      Location is Mission Viejo, in a Park (I think it's called Muirlands Park),
      at the southwest corner of Los Alisos Blvd and Muirlands Blvd, Thomas Bros
      coordinates 891-H6. It was along the split rail fence just a few feet south
      of the point where the bicycle trail emerges from under Muirlands Blvd/Los
      Alisos Creek and returns to the park.

      I would be interested to hear if anyone else re-finds the bird. I plan to go
      after it with my camera but don't have time to do so until next weekend.

      Bob Allen
      Department of Biological Science
      California State University, Fullerton
      rlallen@...
      http://biology.fullerton.edu/rlallen/
    • Allen, Bob
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2000
        Hi Dan.

        Thanks for checking it out, making photos, and letting us all know that you
        did so. Bummer about the eyes - wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

        Bob Allen