SJWS Census Report for August 2008

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2008
      Sea & Sage Audubon
      SJWS MONTHLY CENSUS REPORT for August 2008
      Below is a list of birds seen and/or heard on our August 1st census at
      the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine.

      COMMENTS:
      Tree Hill and the "back 40" areas were not covered this morning because
      the birder who usually covers that area was absent. The overcast weather
      made it appear to be earlier than it really was and definitely put a
      damper on the bird songs; it was VERY quiet around the ponds. Even the
      usually vocal Song Sparrows and Common Yellowthroats were quiet. We
      noticed that the shorebird activity has definitely picked up. The
      dowitchers were back en masse (85 in pond C and more in pond E). 4
      Wilson's Phalaropes wandered between ponds E, D, and C, sometimes
      emerging from the water to feed on the shore. A Snowy Egret put on quite
      a show, chasing its prey around in the water like a Reddish Egret. A
      lone American Avocet sat on the ground in classic incubation position,
      but since she never got up, we were unable to find out if she was really
      sitting on anything. We had a new sighting this morning — a crayfish
      walking across the trail. Seven California Quail were spotted near
      Carlson by the cactus patch. See our chapter webpage for data on this
      and other SJWS censuses:
      <http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/BirdInfo/SJWScensus.htm>

      BIRDS SEEN AND/OR HEARD: (Birds observed in the San Diego Creek are
      marked with parenthesis.)

      Mallard 148 (8)
      Cinnamon Teal 6
      Ruddy Duck 4

      California Quail 7

      Pied-billed Grebe 15 (6)
      Double-crested Cormorant 22 (3)

      Great Blue Heron 9 (6)
      Great Egret 8
      Snowy Egret 4 (4)
      Green Heron (2)
      Black-crowned Night-Heron 10 (6)

      Turkey Vulture 9
      Red-shouldered Hawk 1

      Virginia Rail 1 spotted earlier by pond D
      Common Moorhen 1 juv.
      American Coot 10

      Semipalmated Plover 5
      Killdeer 10

      Black-necked Stilt 15 (2)
      American Avocet 25

      Western Sandpiper 1
      Least Sandpiper 4
      Short-billed Dowitcher 1 (distinguished by call)
      Long-billed Dowitcher 123
      Wilson's Phalarope 4

      Ring-billed Gull 1
      Caspian Tern 11