Plover ID needed

  • zapolingo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2008
      Hi all,

      I hope you can help me with an ID problem that has been bothering me for most of the
      week. Last Friday at Bolsa Chica, I saw a number of Black-bellied Plovers in their non-
      breeding plumage, and a single bird that I thought was a Black-bellied Plover transitioning
      either into or out of its secondary plumage. (A photo of it is at the link below.)

      Now that I've looked at the photo again, it occurred to me that it may possibly be a Pacific
      Golden-Plover: it had a buffy wash on its back, and the black on its belly was streaked with
      white. Or is this the normal state of affairs for a transitional Black-bellied Plover?? And if so,
      what's the best way to distinguish the two birds?

      I'd appreciate any light you could shed on this matter. Thanks in advance!

      Happy birding,

      Felicia Lee
      Costa Mesa, CA
      http://yellowrump.blogspot.com
    • raulroa@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2008
        White undertail coverts tell me is just a BBP...what do u all think?

        Raul Roa
        Whittier, CA

        Raul Roa Staff Photographer, SGVN 1210 N. Azusa Cny. Rd., W. Covina, CA. 91790 Office: 626.962.8811 ext: 2910 & 2238 cell: 626.736.5376 raulroa@... raul.roa@... LAT:33.99641 N - LON:118.05906 W - 365 ft. elevation SoCal FRS Channel 11 subcode 22 www.pictopolis.blogspot.com www.rrpj.blogspot.com video channel: http://www.mogulus.com/pictopolis