Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Seeking the elusive Phainopepla

  • ev3olution@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2008
      As Bob mentioned, they are a fairly common bird on Irvine Ranch Conservancy land.? I have seen them recently in Limestone Canyon, Baker Canyon, Weir Canyon and Blackstar Canyon.? They were also seen last weekend in Agua Chinon, a county owned area that is part of Whiting Ranch.? All these areas have groves of trees (mostly oak or sycamore) with mistletoe that attracts the birds. Phainopeplas can be seen on most of the regular IRC tours if you look, but if you attend a birding-specific tour, we will all help in locating target species.? Again, these areas are not open to self-guided hiking, but there are many programs that will get you to the spots.? In addition to IRC lands, I have spotted them this year in Oak Canyon Nature Center in Anaheim Hills, as well as Irvine Park.? Good luck!

      Evelyn Brown
      Tustin

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2008
        Saw one yesterday in El Moro Canyon and have also seen them in Los
        Trancos path to the Crystal Cove beach.

        Rick Shearer
        Fountain Valley

        --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, ev3olution@... wrote:

        > As Bob mentioned, they are a fairly common bird on Irvine Ranch
        Conservancy land.? I have seen them recently in Limestone Canyon,
        Baker Canyon, Weir Canyon and Blackstar Canyon.? They were also seen
        last weekend in Agua Chinon, a county owned area that is part of
        Whiting Ranch.? All these areas have groves of trees (mostly oak or
        sycamore) with mistletoe that attracts the birds. Phainopeplas can be
        seen on most of the regular IRC tours if you look, but if you attend a
        birding-specific tour, we will all help in locating target species.?
        Again, these areas are not open to self-guided hiking, but there are
        many programs that will get you to the spots.? In addition to IRC
        lands, I have spotted them this year in Oak Canyon Nature Center in
        Anaheim Hills, as well as Irvine Park.? Good luck!

        > Evelyn Brown
        > Tustin

      • Elliotte Harold
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
          Thanks to all the suggestions I did find two last Sunday at Casper's
          Wilderness Park on a very hot day. They were out along the trail to
          Pinhead Peak that starts near the old corral. I just walked down the
          trail until I saw mistletoe, and one flew out! Then on the walk back I
          spotted another perched.

          If anyone's curious, details are here:

          http://www.elharo.com/blog/birding/2008/06/30/438-stalking-the-elusive-phainopepla/

          Next targets: Lesser Nighthawk and Black-chinned Sparrow.