Speaking of pelagics

  • Elliotte Harold
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2008
      Is anyone planning on going up for the L.A. Audubon trip on June 7th?
      Might be nice to carpool. Then again, we'd probably have to leave Irvine
      around 5:00 AM to make it. I might want to plan on spending the night.
      Lack of sleep and boats are a bad combination. :-)

      Saturday, June 7
      Land on Santa Cruz Island for the Island Scrub Jay, and then out to sea.
      This 8 hour trip departs from the Island Packer dock in the Oxnard
      Harbor at 8:00 a.m. on the m/v Vanguard. We will land at Prisoner’s Cove
      where the endemic Island Scrub-Jay is easily seen. Then we will cruise
      out to sea for pelagic birding, returning by Anacapa Island. Birds seen
      on prior trips: Northern Fulmar; Sooty and Pink-footed shearwaters;
      South Polar Skua; Parasitic and Pomarine jaegers; Sabine’s Gull; rocky
      shorebirds (up to 5); Pigeon Guillemot; Xantus Murrelet. Rarities seen:
      Flesh-footed Shearwater and American Oystercatcher. A Tufted Puffin seen
      in 2002.
      Leaders: Todd McGrath, Jon Feenstra and David Pereksta
      $95. A box lunch and breakfast can be ordered from the adjoining
      dock-side deli. Galley onboard.

      --
      Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo@...
      Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!