Spring Pelagic Trip on May 10th

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 1:15 AM
      Sea & Sage Audubon is sponsoring a 4-hour Spring Pelagic boat trip out
      of Dana Point on Saturday morning, May 10th. The focus of the trip will
      be to search for migrating pelagic birds as they fly north to their
      breeding grounds. We will be using the Sea Explorer, a 70 ft. research
      vessel belonging to the Ocean Institute of Dana Point. Meeting time is
      6:30 a.m. in the Ocean Institute parking lot. Our trip leader will be
      Jerry Tolman, an experienced leader and pelagic birder. We hope you can
      join us for this special trip!

      Advance reservations are necessary. Trip fee is $35 per person,
      (payable to Sea & Sage Audubon). Mail to: Pelagic trip, c/o Nancy
      Kenyon, 32 Almond Tree Ln, Irvine CA 92612. Include your phone number &
      your email address for trip confirmation and additional information.

      Nancy Kenyon
      Irvine
    • Elliotte Harold
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29 7:30 AM
        Is anyone planning on going up for the L.A. Audubon trip on June 7th?
        Might be nice to carpool. Then again, we'd probably have to leave Irvine
        around 5:00 AM to make it. I might want to plan on spending the night.
        Lack of sleep and boats are a bad combination. :-)

        Saturday, June 7
        Land on Santa Cruz Island for the Island Scrub Jay, and then out to sea.
        This 8 hour trip departs from the Island Packer dock in the Oxnard
        Harbor at 8:00 a.m. on the m/v Vanguard. We will land at Prisoner’s Cove
        where the endemic Island Scrub-Jay is easily seen. Then we will cruise
        out to sea for pelagic birding, returning by Anacapa Island. Birds seen
        on prior trips: Northern Fulmar; Sooty and Pink-footed shearwaters;
        South Polar Skua; Parasitic and Pomarine jaegers; Sabine’s Gull; rocky
        shorebirds (up to 5); Pigeon Guillemot; Xantus Murrelet. Rarities seen:
        Flesh-footed Shearwater and American Oystercatcher. A Tufted Puffin seen
        in 2002.
        Leaders: Todd McGrath, Jon Feenstra and David Pereksta
        $95. A box lunch and breakfast can be ordered from the adjoining
        dock-side deli. Galley onboard.

        --
        Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo@...
        Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!