Villa Park Flood Basin field trip - April 5th

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2008
      Doug Willick will be leading a Sea & Sage Audubon field trip to the
      Villa Park Flood Basin this coming Sat. morning, April 5th. Meeting time
      is 8:00 a.m.
      The Villa Park Flood Control Basin is situated in the east Orange
      foothills between the Villa Park Dam on the north and Irvine Regional
      Park on the south.
      We will explore the basin’s fairly extensive riparian and freshwater
      marsh habitats, which are associated with the Santiago Creek drainage.

      Although the area has received minimal birding coverage during spring,
      it is known to provide breeding habitat for a wide variety of riparian
      and marsh birds, including several declining southern California
      breeders, such as Least Bell’s Vireo, Yellow Warbler, Green Heron,
      White-tailed Kite, Virginia Rail, Pacific-slope Flycatcher Swainson’s
      Thrush, California Gnatcatcher, Hutton’s Vireo, Yellow-breasted Chat,
      and Blue Grosbeak.

      Depending on conditions during the time of the trip, we will be walking
      a loop trail of approximately 2 to 2 1/2 miles. The trails are
      unimproved, but of reasonably good condition. The walk should last less
      than four hours, although it should be noted that there are no
      restrooms, water, or other amenities once we leave the parking area

      DIRECTIONS: take Chapman Ave. east from the Newport Freeway, to Irvine
      Regional Park. Immediately after entering the park (just past the
      entrance booth), make a left turn at the first opportunity. After
      passing the first parking lot on the left side of this loop road, we
      will meet in the second parking along this road, which will be on the
      right-hand side. This is the closest parking lot to the Villa Park Flood
      Basin. We will meet at 8 am, and we should be returning to the cars by
      approximately 11:30.

      Nancy Kenyon, field trip chair
      Irvine