5 days in Orange county

  • alberto
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 10:14 PM
      Dear birders,
      I spent 5 days in Orange county attending a conference at UCI.
      I was staying at the Marriot Bayview, just on the Upper Newport Bay, so I
      had several chances to bird that area. I also walked a few times to campus
      along the bike/pedestrian path that follows the San Diego creek, and saw
      some birds onthe UCI campus, skipping some talks at the conference.
      On Sunday Elliotte Harrold very kindly picked me up and we had a very good
      afternoon birding the other side of Upper Newport Bay and Bolsa Chica
      (thanks a lot!).
      We also met Toni, who birded with us for a while and pointed me to a good
      spot for California gnatcatcher not far from my hotel. I easily saw several
      birds this morning before going to the airport. Thank you very much to her
      as well.

      Below is my list for these few days. Altogether I saw 89 species, with three
      life birds (Allen's hummingbird, California gnatcatcher and Hooded oriole)
      plus Belding's Savannah sparrow. Many birds were left unidentified,
      especially when I was birding alone. These include many passerines, several
      dowitchers, a possible golden plover at Bolsa Chica, a possible jaeger over
      the ocean at Bolsa Chica.
      If you go through the list, feel free to comment on any bird that looks
      strange to you, as I may have made mistakes not knowing what to expect.

      I enjoyed very much birding your area!

      Best wishes,
      Alberto

      UNB Upper Newport Bay
      SDC along San Diego Creek
      UCI University of California, Irvine campus
      BC Bolsa Chica

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps BC
      Horned Grebe Podiceps auritus UNB BC
      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis UNB
      Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis UNB BC
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus UNB BC
      Brandt's Cormorant Phalacrocorax penicillatus BC
      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias UNB BC
      Great Egret Ardea alba UNB BC
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula UNB BC
      Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax BC
      American Wigeon Anas americana UNB BC
      Gadwall Anas strepera UNB
      Green-winged Teal Anas carolinensis UNB
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos UNB BC
      Blue-winged Teal Anas discors UNB
      Cinnamon Teal Anas cyanoptera UNB
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata UNB BC
      Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis UNB BC
      Surf Scoter Melanitta perspicillata BC
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola BC
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis UNB SDC BC
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura UNB
      Osprey Pandion haliaetus UNB
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus UNB
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis UIC
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius BC
      Common Moorhen Gallinula chloropus UNB
      American Coot Fulica americana UNB SDC BC
      American Avocet Recurvirostra americana UNB
      Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola BC
      Semipalmated Plover Charadrius semipalmatus BC
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus UNB
      Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa UNB BC
      Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus UNB BC
      Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus UNB BC
      Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca BC
      Willet Tringa semipalmata UNB BC
      Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes UNB BC
      Ruddy Turnstone Arenaria interpres BC
      Sanderling Calidris alba BC
      Western Sandpiper Calidris mauri BC
      Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla UNB BC
      Dunlin Calidris alpina BC
      Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis UNB BC
      California Gull Larus californicus BC
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis UNB BC
      Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia UNB
      Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri UNB BC
      Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus BC
      Black Skimmer Rynchops niger UNB
      Rock Pigeon Columba livia BC
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura UNB UCI BC
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna UNB SDC UCI BC
      Allen's Hummingbird Selasphorus sasin UNB SDC UCI
      Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon UNB
      Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens UCI
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans UCI
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans UNB
      Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis UNB
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis UNB SDC
      Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota UNB
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula UNB
      Cedar Waxwing Bombycilla cedrorum UCI
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon UCI
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos UNB
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana UCI
      California Gnatcatcher Polioptila californica UNB
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus UNB UCI
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos UNB UCI BC
      Common Raven Corvus corax UNB UCI
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris UNB UCI BC
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus UNB
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus UNB SDC UCI BC
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria UNB SDC
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata UNB SDC
      Yellow-rumped Warbler Dendroica coronata UNB UCI
      Townsend's Warbler Dendroica townsendi UCI
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas UNB UCI
      Wilson's Warbler Wilsonia pusilla UNB
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus UNB
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis UNB
      Savannah Sparrow (Belding's) Passerculus sandwichensis BC
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia UNB SDC UCI
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys UNB SDC UCI
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis UCI
      Red-winged Blackbird Agelaius phoeniceus BC
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus UCI
      Hooded Oriole Icterus cucullatus UNB
      Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii UNB

      Alberto Marcone
      Tavagnacco (UD)