Leucistic Black Phoebe seen again!

  • Allen, Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2001
      The Leucistic Black Phoebe is still here!

      On Sunday, 12 Nov 2000 (message #31), I reported an "albino" Black Phoebe
      from Lake Forest. Dan Lockshaw visited the park and photographed it soon
      afterward. He also corrected my description of "albino" to "leucistic" (from
      the Greek word Leukos: "white"). True albinics typically have pink eyes and
      no color. This bird has normal dark eyes and a small black patch on its
      rump. Otherwise, it is all white and quite lovely.

      To see Dan's photograph, go to the website at:
      Click on Files, then Photographs, then Flycatchers, and finally on the photo
      file OC-Leucistic1.jpg
      The location is in Lake Forest along the border with Mission Viejo (perhaps
      in MV, hard to tell there), in a park (I think it's called Muirlands Park), at the southwest corner of Los Alisos Blvd and Muirlands Blvd, Thomas Bros
      coordinates 891-H6. Thursday morning (01 March 2001, about 8:20am) I saw the
      bird land on the ground right near the corner of Los Alisos and Muirlands.
      Last November, I saw it perching on the split rail fence within the park.

      Bob Allen
      Department of Biological Science
      California State University, Fullerton
      rlallen@...