UNB Census Report for Feb. 2008

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      Sea and Sage Audubon
      UNB MONTHLY CENSUS REPORT for Feb. 2008 (census date: 2/27/08)
      There was rain on the morning of our regularly scheduled census on the
      3rd Wednesday of the month, so we were forced to cancel and reschedule.
      This was fortunate because this week's tide and weather were much
      better! It was a beautiful warm sunny morning with a moderately low
      tide exposing some interesting shoreline exposures of mud and shallow
      water. At Shellmaker, we saw the head and shoulders of a young Osprey
      chick on the Osprey nesting platform with one of the parents perched on
      a tall pole nearby. There appeared to be an unusually large amount of
      American Avocets in different sized groups all along the way. At the
      Big Canyon outlet, a large flock of some 95 Black Skimmers were sitting
      on one side while a good-sized flock of American Wigeons, with 1
      Eurasian Wigeon amongst them, was on the opposite side. Further up, we
      were delighted to see a Belted Kingfisher fly across the channel in
      front of us. We also saw a pair of Horned Grebes swimming together.

      DATA FROM PREVIOUS UNB COUNTS can be found on the Sea & Sage website
      at: http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/BirdInfo/UNBcensus.html
      We saw the following birds on our monthly census from aboard the Back
      Bay Science Center skiff out of Shellmaker:

      American Wigeon - 216
      Mallard - 5
      Blue-winged Teal - 7
      Cinnamon Teal - 26