Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Orange - 2/29

  • Neil Gilbert
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2008
      birders,

      Today I saw a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER at Santiago Oaks Regional Park
      in eastern Orange. It was in a large pepper tree overhanging the
      Santiago Creek Trail. From the parking lot, take the trail across the
      creek, turn left, climb up the short flight of wooden stairs, and
      walk down the right fork of the trail a short distance to where the
      pepper tree overhangs the trail. The bird had lots of wells in the
      pepper tree, and also some in the nearby willows. It was a male; it
      had no red on the nape, a fairly messy back pattern, fairly wide
      white lines on the face, and no red on the auriculars. This bird has
      apparently been around all winter and has been seen by birders, but
      no one has posted it.

      At Irvine Regional Park I found a male HOODED ORIOLE near parking lot
      six. I'm assuming this is an early migrant, since I haven't detected
      it prior to today. The LEWIS'S WOODPECKER continued in the middle of
      the wash near parking lot sixteen despite a MERLIN sitting just a few
      feet above it in the same tree.

      cheers,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA
      http://ocbirding.blogspot.com/
    • Robert McNab
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
        I wanted to thank Neil for posting this bird. I was able to get a
        look at it today (SAT 3-01-08)- exactly on the pepper tree that Neil
        gave directions to in his post. Thanks Neil! Fair play to you!

        Also, Aaron Simon and I had a Adult Ferruginous Hawk on the north
        side of Ortega Hwy in Orange County, about a mile west of the "Tree
        of Life" nursery. The bird was low in a pasture loaded with beechy
        ground squirrels. The bird was on the fences in the eastern part of
        the pasture, on the ground and even in the large eucs in the field at
        times. Seen about 11:15A. Note: this area does not have many areas to
        turn out safely and a narrow dirt shoulder for the most part; please
        use extreme caution. I stopped next to a "Call Box" marker with a
        moderately wide paved turnout.

        Robert McNab
        Laguna NIguel

        --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Gilbert"