New Digital, Sunday Trip

  • JWeintraub@fullerton.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hi...
      Tried something new today.... I have an adaptor that keeps the digital
      camera on my telescope. So I took my Environmental Biology students
      on a walk around the Saddleback Campus this morning with this setup.
      Cal State Fullerton has a satellite campus down here. With my red dot
      pointer, I was able to position birds in the scope and digital camera.
      Using the screen as a TV, the students could easily see the bird.
      The bonus was, that I also took pictures of birds, and if any flew
      away before all the students could see the live bird... I just
      switched to the taken picture and all got to see the individual. We
      then went back to the classroom where, with a cable, I showed them
      what we had seen on a large TV.

      There was a Red-tailed Hawk there that was very cooperative.... and
      I've added his/her picture to our photo section. See:
      rds+of+Prey/RedtHawk4a.JPG
      and remember this address should be one line.

      Second... Larry Allen is leading an LA Audubon Field Trip to Doheny
      this Sunday. It's part of a two part course he is offering. Part I
      is, I believe, tonight... and part II is the followup field trip. LA
      Audubon is charging $10 for participants of the field trip (only) for
      Sunday. Larry is teaching Gull Identification.... and from what I
      remember they expect to be out in the field all morning. They are
      meeting by San Juan Creek (west side)..the parking lot near the
      lifeguard office... on 8 am this Sunday. Anyone can show up (and
      pay!) for the Sunday trip.