RE: [OrangeCountyBirding] Black Phoebe in the rain?

  • Lidia Seebeck
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2007
      Black Phoebe are very adaptable. They love moisture. We get them here near
      the Riverside canal, even when there is a bare trickle in the canal. Your
      description of it and its behavior certainly seem consistent. I have also
      heard of them in suburban areas using fountains or pools as their water
      area. Does your office have a fountain or such nearby? A lot do, and that
      is like a playground for a Black Phoebe.

      I would feel entirely comfortable with that probably being Black Phoebe.

      Lidia Seebeck

      Pachappa Hill Riverside CA

      _____

      I believe I saw a Black Phoebe outside the window at my work today. (I
      suppose it could have been a Dark-Eyed Junco, but the bill looked narrow
      and
      'flycatcher-ish' to me--I'm relatively new to birding). The rain was
      pouring
      down at the time, and I had the impression that the Phoebe was chasing
      after
      something, and just generally having a grand time as it flitted about in
      the
      rain.