Short-eared Owl at Upper Newport Bay

  • Steve Alter
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2007
      This evening we were standing at the old Salt Dike on the east side of
      Upper Newport Bay, looking towards the Muth Nature Center. About 15
      minutes after sunset we saw a Short-eared Owl hunting along the
      channel.

      Steve & Marian Alter
      Tustin
    • Steve Alter
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2007
        Hi all,
        Marian and I went looking for the Short-eared Owl again tonight. We
        split up this time to cover more ground, just in case it had moved.
        Marian saw it clearly at about 5:15 in the same area as before, out in
        front of the Nature Center and boardwalk. I missed it.

        But, while I was standing there peering through binoculars into the
        gathering darkness, a jogger stopped to ask what the heck I was doing.
        He told me he has seen an owl perched on the bank of the channel that
        runs below the Nature Center, before you get to the boardwalk.

        Sounds like the same place where an earlier posting reported that the
        bird was seen this morning.

        Good Birding,

        Steve Alter
        Tustin
      • scalter1
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2010
          We went out to Back Bay Drive at dusk and stopped at the Salt Dike (across from the Muth Center). After enjoying a beautiful sunset and several performances by the Clapper Chorus, at 6:45 we were treated to fantastic views of a Short-eared Owl fluttering over the grass.

          Cheers!
          Steve & Marian Alter