Upper Newport Bay, etc.

  • wahoo92677
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 2:58 PM
      Hi all,

      I went down to the Upper Newport Bay Interpretive Center at lunch
      and took a short walk to the boardwalk area. A pair of California
      Gnatcatchers were foraging in the dry scrub just below the boardwalk
      and giving excellent views. The male's black cap was a glossy
      greenish-black in the direct sunlight. Striking. Over the bay a
      flock of 12 American White Pelicans were circling.

      Also, FYI – Orange County regional and wilderness day-use park
      passes for 2007 are ½ original price starting today, August 1, 2007.
      A good deal if you don't already have one. County beach parking
      passes are also ½ price. Passes are good until December 31, 2007.

      Monday 7/30/07 late afternoon at Laguna Niguel Reg. Park around the
      LGS shelter was a flock of Nutmeg manikins on the dry weeds of the
      hillside, at least two Blue Grosbeaks in the eucalyptus including
      one male, a female Western Tanager, an im. Hooded Oriole and seven
      Western Bluebirds (2 adults and five fledlings). Along the creek to
      the north was an juvenile Blue Grosbeak, Bullock's Orioles and
      several Green Herons. Yellow Warblers are still around, and a few
      males are still singing.

      Tuesday 7/31/07 evening there was a Surf Scoter in Dana Point Harbor
      at baby beach. At San Juan Creek mouth were 5-10 Semipalmated
      Plovers, which I believe were all adults, 10-20 Least Sandpipers and
      maybe 5 or less Western Sandpipers. Up the creek past the PCH
      overpass, the creek is bone-dry, no water at all (that I could see)
      up to Stonehill Drive. As you can imagine, the shorebirds were
      scarce.

      Good birding,

      Robert McNab
      Laguna Niguel