Western Tanager in HCP

  • zapolingo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2007
      Hello all,

      This morning, Glenn and I went by Huntington Central Park. It was pretty quite birdwise, but
      we did see a male Western Tanager and what I think was a Yellow Warbler—it had a bright
      yellow face, throat, and belly (couldn't see any red streaks) and slightly darker wings, but it
      was too high up in the trees for me to get a really good look at the rest of him .

      Both birds were in the grove of eucalyptuses just NE of the big pond behind the library.

      There were also a number of Downy Woodpeckers and Nutmeg Mannekins in the marshy area
      north of the pond. Attempts to bird by ear were hindered by the presence of a group of
      bagpipers (!) practicing nearby.

      Happy birding,

      Felicia Lee
      Costa Mesa, CA