Peregrine Falcon, Snowy Plovers

  • zapolingo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hello all,

      Yesterday at Bolsa Chica, we saw about half a dozen Snowy Plovers (both adults and
      chicks) in the fenced-off area off the foot bridge. There were also a number of Least Tern
      chicks in the area as well.

      We also saw a juvenile Peregrine Falcon in the hilly area behind the tidegates. She sat in
      the same tree for over an hour. (A photographer also watching the bird said it was a
      female.) At one point, we thought she was going to fly off, but instead, she walked to the
      base of the thick branch she was sitting on, grabbed a large piece of meat she had been
      keeping there, and started eating it.

      I've never seen this behavior before; I wasn't aware that raptors were able to store food
      like this. How common is this? It was kind of surprising, at least to me.

      We also stopped by San Joaquin on Saturday afternoon/evening--no luck finding the
      Yellow-billed Cuckoo, but we did spot an Osprey and several Yellow-breasted Chats.

      Happy birding,

      Felicia Lee
      Costa Mesa, CA
      http://yellowrump.blogspot.com/