Bay-breasted Warbler

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 11 , May 26, 2007
      Hi,

      A stunning male Bay-breasted Warbler was in Seagate Park in Huntington
      Beach today. It sang briefly only once as it worked the willows in the
      lower end of the park closest to Ellis Street. It wasn't seen again
      after a Cooper's Hawk flew through the trees and was observed to have a
      bird in its talons. If it did manage to evade the hawk, perhaps playing
      a tape would produce the bird in the morning. Seagate Park is between
      Goldenwest and Gothard, and the entrance to the park is in the
      neighborhood off of Ashley Street.

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach
    • vicleipzig@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 27, 2007
        Tom Benson and I relocated the Bay-breasted Warbler at 1:45 PM this
        afternoon, Sun, May 27. This is at Sea Gate Park in Huntington Beach. From Ellis
        Avenue (between Gothard and Goldenwest) turn south on Ashley, then turn left on
        Garnet. Where Garnet turns into Eveningsong, park and walk down the asphalt
        trail (which soon turns to decomposed granite). We had the bird in willows
        directly over the tiny creek. There are two berms that cross the creek (with
        culverts underneath). We were at the northerly of these berms.

        Vic Leipzig

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 15, 2014
          I'm currently looking at a adult male fall plumaged Bay-breasted Warbler (with lots of chestnut on it's flanks) at Marina View Park in Costa Mesa. I'll post pictures later.

          -Tom Ford-Hutchinson
          Irvine, CA
        • Jeff Bray
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 15, 2014
            Got here to see the bird when Tom was still on it.  Photo from back of my camera here:  http://flic.kr/p/peg52r

            Jeff Bray
            Irvine, CA

          • Ryan Winkleman
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 15, 2014

              Based on eBird reports it looks like several people were unsuccessful finding the bay-breasted warbler midday today. I showed up about 5 pm and found Curtis Marantz, Amin Khalifa, and another guy named Johnny in the park already. Curtis said he and Johnny had found the warbler and tracked it across the park high in the sycamores and London planes but had last seen it right at the park's edge an hour prior to my and Amin's arrivals. Over the next hour and a half we were not able to re-find the bird. Roger Schoedl showed up later as well and to my knowledge did not find it while I was there. It could have been pulling another disappearing act like (apparently) earlier in the day or it could have moved on.

              We also only observed western flycatchers while I was there, and Curtis said during the time before I showed up the only identifiable Empidonax flycatchers he had were all western.

              Ryan Winkleman
              RSM

              I'm currently looking at a adult male fall plumaged Bay-breasted Warbler (with lots of chestnut on it's flanks) at Marina View Park in Costa Mesa. I'll post pictures later.

              -Tom Ford-Hutchinson
              Irvine, CA

            • Don Hoechlin
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 16, 2014
                BBWA still present this morning at Marina View Park -7:45am. Don Hoechlin. Costa Mesa

                Sent from my iPhone
              • canyon53ss
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 26

                  The sweet little Bay-breasted Warbler, found yesterday afternoon by Leo Edson, remains this morning. His original post gives location.

                  You can see some photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/canyon53ss/16374369015/in/photostream/lightbox/

                  Jeff B. was there at lunch so more (and better) photos will no doubt be forthcoming.

                  Once you make your way to the walkbridge there, keep an eye on the bare California Sycamore on the east side (directly at) the walkbridge. The bird seems to fancy that tree a bit.

                  Happy birding,

                  Sherry Meddick

                  Silverado

                • Jeff Bray
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 26
                    As Sherry mentioned, I was there from 10:30a - 11:15a.  Saw the bird come into the sycamore Sherry referenced in her post only two times while I was there.  Never heard it vocalize.  Photos aren't the best, but do show the bird well.  The base of it's beak is covered in sappy residue.  There are a lot of American and Lesser Goldfinch that favor that tree as well as a Townsend's Warbler.  I never attempted to look for it down on the creek.  I just stayed put by the sycamore.  Lee Bush and Anthony Gliozzo got looks the second time the bird came in.  Both times, the bird flew from that tree, into the row of pines that separate the creek from the ball fields above.

                    A few photos:

                    Jeff Bray
                    Irvine, CA
                  • Trish G
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 27
                      If anyone spots this bird today, please reply.
                      I'm going to try to chase this afternoon after work.

                      Trish Gussler
                      Anaheim

                    • alazere
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 27

                        Bay-breasted warbler showed at 10 (Tuesday 1/27/15) after a 1.5 hour search. Landed in the sycamore at the end of the bridge as previously described, in Oso Viejo Community Park along Oso Creek. Posed for photos for about 2 minutes before I lost it.

                        Bay-breasted Warbler, Setophaga castanea, 012715, Oso River Trail, MV

                        Andy Lazere Laguna Niguel

                      • Ryan Winkleman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 27

                          The Bay-breasted Warbler just spent 20  minutes (roughly 5:05-5:25) in the large sycamore tree on the northeast side of the bridge. Unfortunately at this time of day the lighting was not optimal but Trish and I both got decent looks at it as we watched it forage. Earlier in the afternoon Bettina followed it from upstream a little bit down the east side of the creek, where it disappeared around the bridge.

                          In my opinion the bird moved somewhat like a Yellow-rumped Warbler while foraging, often fluttering between branches and being minorly acrobatic in its short movements. However, the plumage is obviously distinctive, as is its occasional call note. The bird moved quite often but from time to time would stay still for 10 seconds or so. It stayed in this single tree the entire time we had it in view.

                          Ryan Winkleman
                          RSM

                          On Jan 27, 2015 3:52 PM, "alazere1@... [OrangeCountyBirding]" <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Bay-breasted warbler showed at 10 (Tuesday 1/27/15) after a 1.5 hour search. Landed in the sycamore at the end of the bridge as previously described, in Oso Viejo Community Park along Oso Creek. Posed for photos for about 2 minutes before I lost it.

                          Bay-breasted Warbler, Setophaga castanea, 012715, Oso River Trail, MV

                          Bay-breasted Warbler, Setophaga castanea, 01271...
                          Probably first year male 3rd day bird seen.
                          Preview by Yahoo

                          Andy Lazere Laguna Niguel