Lake Forest Birds 4-28-07

  • wahoo92677
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hi all,

      I birded Serrano Park at the corner of Peachwood and Tamarisk Dr. in
      Lake Forest on Saturday A.M. 4/28/07. A great morning birding spot,
      FYI. Behind the park itself is a little sage/cactus valley with
      Cactus Wren nesting in the largest Cholla patch on the side hill.
      Also at least one pair of California Gnatcatchers in the sagebrush.
      I had great looks at a singing (mewing) male with his dark black
      cap. There is a nice flock of CAQU, BEWR singing, and hummers all
      over.

      The trees surrounding the grassy park itself are holding lots of
      migrants. Western Tanagers area very common in the bottlebrush along
      Tamarisk Dr. Bullocks Orioles, OCWA, NAWA, WIWA. Two California
      Thrashers were out in the open putting on a good show hopping around
      in the open for quite a while.

      Also, a "black-backed" male Lesser Goldfinch was active circling and
      singing above the basketball court in Serrano Park. This individual
      was extremely dark and pretty striking – as far as Lesser
      Goldfinches go – and looks just like the drawing in the Nat.
      Geographic field guide.

      Peachwood Drive is off Trabuco, between Bake and Lake Forest Drive.

      The Greater White-fronted Goose is still present at Village Lake
      pond as previously reported, along with 150 of his closest Canada
      Goose buddies, and does not look to be going anywhere soon.

      Robert McNab
      Laguna Niguel