Bolsa Chica, Upper Newport today

  • Lidia Seebeck
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2007
      Weird contrast today, Bolsa was very quiet and Upper Newport very birdy.

      Upper Newport: Saw a Long-Billed Curlew (Not Whimbrel) on a mud flat across
      from a parking spot, before the San Joaquin Hills turn. We had some great
      looks on this bird. Also saw an Osprey at the main parking area, and a White
      Tailed Kite doing the hover thing nearly next to the road not far north of
      that spot. Lots of the usual gulls, peeps, ducks and also at least one,
      probably more Cinnamon Teal near that Curlew. Also seeing returning terns,
      Caspian and Forster's I think.

      Bolsa was very quiet although admittedly I did not get past the boardwalk.
      Directly south of the walk a Merganser (femaie, either Common or Red
      Breasted) was feeding. All other birds there were pretty much commons for
      the area. My husband may have seen a Bufflehead from the parking lot

      Lidia Seebeck

      Pachappa Hill Riverside CA

    • Nick & Mary Freeman
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2007
        HI Birders

        Today we were birding Bolsa Chica. The shorebirds are getting into
        their breeding outfits. The ELEGANT TERNS were carrying on with
        courtship displays.

        I found three RED KNOTS at the first overlook. A few DUNLIN were
        found too. Yesterday we had a single BRANT at this same spot. The
        REDDISH EGRET continues here as well. A PEREGRINE FALCON was seen
        with breakfast in its talons yesterday and today. Near the tide
        gates (north of the foot bridge), we came across two spiffy looking
        male BLUE-WINGED TEAL. We also saw a single WHIMBREL off the trail
        towards the tide gates.

        Happy Birding!

        Mary Freeman
        Glendale, CA