RE: [OrangeCountyBirding] Mystery bird at

  • David Elliott
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2007
      All the field marks sem to be dead on for western meadowlark, except the bill. I found a report from 1970 of meadowlarks with just such a bill abnormality. Maybe this is a similar bird. Did all four birds observed have similarly long bills?

      see:
      elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v087n01/p0173-p0174.pdf
      for the 1970 report.

      David Elliott
      La Habra

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2007
        Hi Birders

        While on today's gull ID fieldtrip for Los Angeles Audubon Society,
        we had a probable third-year LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Doheny
        Beach. It was found around 12 noon between the lagoon and the
        breakwater which is northwest of the lagoon. It was in a flock of
        WESTERN, RING-BILLED and CALIFORNIA GULLS. A few MEW GULLS, HEERMAN'S
        GULLS, and thirteen or more GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS were also seen -
        mostly first year birds.

        The mantle was a dark slaty gray, dusky yellowish legs, pale
        yellowish eye, smudging around the eye, dappling on the neck and
        collar, a dark bill for the most part, with some paleness to the base
        of the bill and a light yellow tip. The coverts and secondaries on
        the folded wing were dark brown, there was contrast between the dark
        gray mantle and blackish primaries, and the primaries lacked windows
        or apical spotting. The tail appeared to be all white white.

        Myself and one other birder got digiphotos of the bird.

        The day started rainy, but the rain stopped and gave way to partly
        sunny skies.

        Happy Birding!

        Mary & Nick Freeman
        Glendale, CA