Myiarchus ID article available

  • Joel Weintraub
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
      Marjorie Hastings sent me an email indicating that there is a website
      that discusses identification problems in the Myiarchus group of
      flycatchers. It's at:
      http://losbird.org/los_news_193_00dec3.htm#9
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
        On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:54:18 -0000, "Joel Weintraub"
        <JWeintraub@...> wrote:

        >Marjorie Hastings sent me an email indicating that there is a website
        >that discusses identification problems in the Myiarchus group of
        >flycatchers. It's at:
        >http://losbird.org/los_news_193_00dec3.htm#9

        In which it states for Nutting's:

        "Voice.... A mournful, whistled, peer. This note can be preceded by a
        pip note that is somewhat similar to the soft whit of Ash-throated."

        I guess the bird at Mason must be something else.

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044: mailto:jmorlan@...
        Birding classes start Feb.6 in SF: http://fog.ccsf.org/~jmorlan/
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
          We do *everything* a little differently here in southern California.

          Even our birds don't follow the rules (or maybe they don't read the bird
          books) ;7)

          -Bob Allen

        • cbenesh@rtd.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2001
            The Myiarchus article available online through losbirds is an
            excellent summary of the identification of this group. If it has any
            weakness, it is with a few of the vocal descriptions. In
            particular, as Joe alludes to, Nutting's does not really utter a
            mournful, whistled, peer, or if it does, it must only do it on very
            rare occasions. I have heard many Nutting's Flycatchers over the
            years, and though their repertoire is varied, it mainly consists of
            strident, slightly shrill "wheeps" and "hueeks", heavier "huits",
            and rollicky, raspy chatters. The closest sound I have
            tape-recorded of this species is what I would describe as a
            ringing "peee" sound. At the very least, a mournful "peer" is not
            the defining vocalization for this species.

            I think that a mournful vocal quality was first attributed to this
            species based on an interpretation of Lanyon's 1961 Condor
            article. On page 437 of that article, Lanyon describes the call of
            Nutting's as a "clear, penetrating whistle which I have
            phonetically described as peer in my notes...it is somewhat
            suggestive of the other two "whistling species"..(incl.) M.
            tuberculifer..It is usually at a higher frequency, however, and is
            more "piercing," less "sad" or plaintive to the ear". Based on the
            sonagrams published in the article, I think that what Lanyon was
            describing is closer to the "wheep"-sounding notes (say of Great
            Crested or rare Brown-crested) than to a
            mournful, Dusky-capped whistle. The similarity of Nutting's to
            Dusky-capped has been repeated without question in virtually
            every field guide up until the publicaton of Howell & Webb in
            1995 (which describes the calls much more accurately in my
            mind).

            But regardless of what they sound like, this is a super find in
            southern California! I hope I can get out to see it.

            Chris

            Tucson, AZ