Brant at Bolsa Chica

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2007
      Greetings,

      There were three Brant at Bolsa Chica this morning, Tue. They were
      foraging in the bay north of the new overlook that is sorta east of
      the wooden bridge. There were Redheads, Buffleheads, and the other
      usuals in Wintersburg Channel as well. I posted a picture of the Brant
      photographed by Steve Smith in the photo folder.

      Enjoy, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA
    • raulroa@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 23, 2007
        I can vouche(sp??) for Al... Three Brnats were there
        Sat during the Whittier Audubon walk.
        Regards,

        Raul Roa
        Whittier, CA

        Raul Roa
        Staff Photographer, SGVN
        1210 N. Azusa Cny. Rd., W. Covina, CA. 91790
        Office: 626.962.8811 ext: 2910 & 2238 cell: 626.736.5376
        raulroa@... raul.roa@...
        LAT:33.99641 N - LON:118.05906 W - 365 ft. elevation
        SoCal FRS Channel 11 subcode 22

        Need Mail bonding?
      • zapolingo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
          Hello all,

          Yesterday, Glenn and I spotted a Brant at Bolsa Chica. It was preening itself near the inland
          end of the footbridge.

          A photo is posted here:

          http://yellowrump.blogspot.com/

          There was also a sea lion swimming around and sunning itself near the tidegates.

          Happy birding,

          Felicia Lee
          Costa Mesa, CA
        • Bill Sauer
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
            There were eight Brant this norning near the first observation point. I looked for them again around noon but couldn't find them.

            Bill Sauer
            Huntington Beach

          • nicholsand
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2009
              Saturday, about 10:30, during a brief break in the weather, I visited Bolsa Chica and observed 2 BRANT. They were on the sliver of island observable from the fence at the end of the boardwalk. Jim Roe, Seal Beach.
            • S_Shinn
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
                This one was munching along the trail about 200 meters south of the foot bridge near Warner. Very approachable.
                Time was about 4 PM

                Steve Shinn
                Long Beach
              • Jim
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
                  Steve,

                  Do you have any other photos of this bird that might better show what appear to be bands on its legs? There appear to be blue and white bands on the left leg, and possibly a silver band on the right leg. This is worth reporting to the Bird Banding Lab online.

                  Jim Pike
                  HB

                  --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, "S_Shinn" <sshinn@...> wrote:

                  > This one was munching along the trail about 200 meters south of the foot bridge near Warner. Very approachable.
                  > Time was about 4 PM
                  > http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=16989594
                  >
                  > Steve Shinn
                  > Long Beach

                • Bernardo Alps
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
                    Hi Jim.

                    The bird has a dark blue marker with the code 23Z in white on the left tarsus. There is no federal band. I have reported it to BBL but not heard back yet.

                    Take care,

                    Bernardo

                    --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, "S_Shinn" wrote:

                    > This one was munching along the trail about 200 meters south of the foot bridge near Warner. Very approachable.
                    > Time was about 4 PM
                    > http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=16989594
                    >
                    > Steve Shinn
                    > Long Beach