Nighthawks at IVC

  • Leigh
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2006
      Hello all, I know it's not a rarity, but I was leaving my class at
      Irvine Valley College last night, around 10pm, and there were multiple
      nighthawks (perhaps Lesser - I'm assuming since they are more common,
      and were very buffy below, but I didn't have bins or anything on me
      since I was coming from class) feeding around a lightpost. I'll be
      looking for them again after my Thursday class to see if it's a regular
      thing, but I thought I'd post it here, since if it is regular occurence,
      its a very easy place to get good looks at these very neat birds.

      Happy birding,

      Leigh Johnson

      Newport Beach, CA

      http://avidbirder.blogspot.com <http://avidbirder.blogspot.com>

    • Bob Allen
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2006
        Thanks to Leigh for her welcome report about nighthawks. I don't see
        them often in OC. Next semester, I'll be teaching Natural History
        (Bio 30) on Monday evenings (7-10pm) at IVC so will keep an eye out
        for them there.

        I'd just like to remind everyone that OC Birding*is* intended for
        reports of *all* bird species, common or not. Nighthawks, sparrows,
        junkos, hawks, pelicans, etc., etc. Hmmm, we have had no status
        reports of the white pelicans in OC.

        FYI - Reports of rarities are welcome on OC Birding but are really
        best posted to OC Rare Bird Alert (OrCoRBA). People can join them via:

        Good wildlife-watching,

        -Bob Allen
        bugbob@...
        Owner & Co-Moderator, OC Birding
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OrangeCountyBirding/

        PS. Thanks, Leigh, for the tip on your website about The Veggie
        Grill. I'll check it out soon.