Re: Blackbird

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2006
      Hi,

      A few hatch-year (ie, juvenile) male Brewer's Blackbirds acquire
      extensive brownish tipping to the feathers of the head, back and
      breast after molting into first-basic (ie, first-winter) plumage. At
      that time, they can look fairly similar to a fall Rusty Blackbird.
      They are separated from Rusty's by their thicker-based bills and
      lack of rusty edgings to the tertials and greater coverts.

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach

      --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Richter"