Bolsa Chica raptor--ID help wanted!

  • zapolingo
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hello all,

      Today my husband and I encountered a nice range of raptors at Bolsa Chica, in the wooded
      area in the eastern (back) part of the reserve: a juvenile White-Shouldered Kite, a juvenile
      Cooper's Hawk, an American Kestrel, a pair of Red-Tailed Hawks, and an Osprey.

      We also spotted--and got numerous photos of--a very dark mid-size raptor with a spotted
      chest and heavy dark bands on its face. He/she was sitting in a tree by the footpath
      overlooking the water. I've posted a couple of photos of it in the Miscellaneous folder. We're
      guessing it may be either a juvenile Peregrine Falcon or a juvenile Merlin.

      We'd appreciate any ID help any of you can provide. Thanks and happy birding!

      Felicia Lee
      Costa Mesa