Possible Clapper Rails near Santa Ana River

  • zapolingo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2006
      Hello,

      Today I brought my husband (camera in tow) back down to the Santa Ana River bike path
      leading from Talbert Nature Reserve to the beach, in hopes of spotting the Reddish Egret I
      saw on Thursday. The tide was high, so he/she wasn't in, but further down towards the
      beach, we spotted what we're pretty sure is a Clapper Rail in the reeds of the lagoon on the
      south side of the bike path. I've posted two photos in the Miscellaneous folder.

      We've seen Clapper Rails several times in the Upper Newport Back Bay, but never here, so this
      was a fun surprise.

      We continued walking down the path to the beach, then crossed the river and hung out for a
      bit by the Least Tern nesting area on the north bank of the river mouth. We saw a large
      number of Least Terns, as well as several Snowy Plovers and Black-Bellied Plovers.

      Happy birding,

      Felicia