Upcoming Field Trips

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2006
      Please excuse the double posting on these field trips. I thought I was
      going to be out of town when this reminder was to be sent out. Since the
      yahoo calendar only allows a bare minimum of words, the information
      sent out on the first reminder which you received on Tuesday was
      incomplete. Here is the complete trip information:

      We would like to remind you about the following 2 field trips sponsored
      by Sea & Sage Audubon.

      BATIQUITOS LAGOON
      Saturday, May 6th - 8:00 am

      Batiquitos Lagoon is located on the coast of northern San Diego county,
      just north of Encinitas. The lagoon is bordered by the ocean on the
      west, steep hills on the south, gentle slopes to the north, and San
      Marcos Creek on the eastern end. The lagoon is open to the ocean's tidal
      changes and flows; there is a small nature center and an excellent trail
      system at the lagoon. 165+ species have been reported there. Our field
      trip will be led by Steve Brad, a former Sea & Sage member who now lives
      in the area and birds Batiquitos frequently.

      DIRECTIONS: From Orange County, drive south on the I-5 to Carlsbad and
      exit on Poinsettia Lane. Drive east and turn right (south) on Batiquitos
      Drive (the 2nd stoplight past the freeway). Drive down the hill toward
      the lagoon and then right on Gabbiano Lane. Drive to the end and park;
      we will meet there. Steve says there are nesting egrets, herons, and a
      Red-shouldered Hawk in the area, and that it is a great place to bird by
      ear. The outing will end at 12 noon.

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      * * *

      BIG MORONGO PRESERVE
      Sunday, May 7th - 7:00 am

      Big Morongo Preserve is a mecca for migratory birds as well as resident
      desert species. This willow cottonwood riparian oasis, with a year
      around stream, surrounded by desert, attracts a wide variety of birds
      including the nesting Vermilion Flycatcher, Brown-crested Flycatcher,
      Summer Tanager, Yellow-breasted Chat, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Gambel's
      Quail. Verdin, and often, many warblers. The field trip will be led by
      Vic Leipzig.

      An excellent source of information about the preserve can be found on
      the Big Morongo Canyon Preserve website at: <http://www.bigmorongo.org>

      DIRECTIONS: Take the Riverside Frwy. (#91) to the San Bernardino Frwy.
      (#10) towards Palm Springs. Drive past Banning and the Palm Springs exit
      to #62, the Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree exit where you will turn off. Drive
      approximately 7 miles to the center of Morongo Valley. Turn right on
      East Street across from Rocky's Pizza; then take the first driveway to
      the left, into the preserve parking lot where we will meet. Bring a hat,
      water, snack, jacket & lunch.

      Nancy Kenyon
      Irvine, CA
      field trip chair for Sea & Sage Audubon