Lazuli Buntings at Santiago Oaks Regional Park

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 2:44 PM
      Hi, I took a hike today in Santiago Oaks which involved climbing the
      hill out of the park on the Peralta Hills Trail. Near the gate
      leaving the park I spied a Cactus Wren. At the intersection of the
      Peralta Hills Trail and Anaheim Trail I took the utility road going
      downhill into the catch basin. The hillside was covered with mustard
      and in the mustard were dozens of Lazuli Buntings, Blue Grosbeaks,
      Black Headed Grosbeaks and House Finches. A birdie color blast.
      These were my first Lazuli Buntings. They mocked me. They made it
      almost impossible to get a picture without carrying a giant telephoto.
      There were so many birds there today that I used up both my bateries
      on my mini DV recorder. Down in the park I also saw Western Tanagers,
      Bullocks and a Hooded Oriole, Nuttals and Acorn Woodpeckers,
      Ash-throated and Pacific Slope Flycatchers, Wilsons, Townsends, Orange
      Crowned, Black-throated Grey and Nashville Warblers, Bewicks, House
      and the Cactus Wren, Lesser and American Goldfinches, California and
      Spotted Towhees, California Thrasher, Roadrunner. It was crazy. Not
      sure if I got any pictures worth sharing. Have to charge a battery first.

      Rick Shearer
      Fountain VAlley