RE: Long-eared Owl, Mason Park, ....

  • Allen, Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2000
      Greetings.

      Just wanted to clarify the happenings at Mason today, since I was there much
      of the day and saw it all firsthand. This is kind of lengthy but trimmed as
      much as I could.

      The 4 (or 5?) kids (ages about 8-12) mentioned in Joel's note were
      interested in the goings on so we told them about the owl as a few of us
      watched it. I pointed out where it was, told them how to trace willow
      branches to find it, then loaned them my binos to look at it. They were all
      pretty excited to see it and asked good questions. I have always found it
      better to educate than to shoo people away, regardless of their age. Right
      then, the Nutting's Flycatcher (NF) popped out and I left with a few others
      to join the growing crowd along the sidewalk south of the owl spot ("Site
      C"). While watching the NF, someone looked back at the owl area and said
      something about the kids. I looked that way and saw that one or two of them
      had disappeared into the willow thicket, probably to get a better look at
      it. Then someone said she saw one of them throw a rock toward it (I did not
      see that happen) but we were all a long way off. Two people went over to
      talk with the kids and upon returning to our group, said that the owl flew
      away. Yes, the kids were in the willow thicket but so were many adult
      birders - so many in fact, there is a clear-cut trail to the base of the
      tree that it had been in. The kids may have scared it off but they were no
      closer than many adults had been. Let's not crucify some kids when some
      adults had done the same thing.

      After we all had our fill of the NF, I walked around the willow thicket with
      another birder in search of the owl but couldn't relocate it. Ditto for
      other birders during the day. Later on, as I was leaving the park, I asked
      the kids which way and how far the owl went, and they said that it flew
      around to the back side of the same tree. Let's hope that tomorrow's CBC
      relocates the owl.

      Almost forgot to mention that, before viewing the owl with the kids and the
      NF showed up, a Park Ranger drove through the entire area... right through
      the dirt trail where the Harris's Sparrow was feeding with its relatives!
      Now *that's* disturbing the birds. Fortunately the sparrows returned and
      more people came to view the birds.

      -Bob Allen