Bolsa Chica today/Golden plover

  • captnpeebs
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2006
      What a terrific weekend-
      Along the bluff between the tide gate and the Nature Center, while scanning
      the huge Black Belly Plover flock (300-400), one stuck out with a beautiful
      yellow huge. On closer examination with my scope, it appeared smaller,
      thiner-longer billed than the Black bellies surrounding it. I was on it for over
      1.5 hours so it showed me its underwings while preening, no black pits. I
      could see the primaries sticking out , but couldn't get sight of the tail to see
      how far out they were. The yellow was predominantly on the back and face.
      The belly was light brown with a darker spot in the center of its chest. It
      appeared long legged and picked up food very delicately, it didn't jam it beak
      into the sand like the BBellies did. At 1:00 pm the whole flock flew. We went
      to the East Bluff to see if we could find the flock, only found 60 to 100 BBellies,
      no Golden Plover. Has this Golden plover been at Bolsa Chica all winter?
      I am assuming that this is a Pacific Golden plover, because of its color. Any
      comments?

      Other notable birds at Bolsa Chica

      12 red heads-near the Nature Center
      2 Mew gulls -near the flood gate
      1 First Winter Glaucous-winged Gull (whole body same color, all dark beak,
      pink legs)
      1 Greater yellow-legs-West bluff mud flats
      2 Long billed Curlew-West bluff mud flats
      2 Canada Geese- Half way or less betwn bridge walk and East bluff
      1 Reddish egret- halfway btween Walkway and East bluff-a visiting birder
      from Carlsbad found it with his scope(memory laps on his name,sorry)
      15 American pipits- on the hill of the east Bluff /H. Weider park
      1 Spragues pipit ?/ with the Americans (pink legs, lighter color on the back,
      light colored marking on the face, and a yellowish bill)

      Good birding all,
      Gary Peebles
      Seal Beach